A beautiful woman, born on 30 September 1970, married to the man in uniform and blessed with two beautiful daughters. What a dream to live on!
And then God decides to test the substance Deepa Malik has got in her as a woman.
Deepa Malik was just 26 when she was diagnosed with a spinal tumor. Whole family was shattered but retired colonel Mr BK Nagpal knew that her daughter is not an ordinary one. She rather was all smiles and told God to bring it on.
Deepa Malik had to undergo 31 surgeries and 183 stitches to survive. But Deepa Malik took all the pain like a warrior and made it her best weapon against the distress and hopelessness.
Every morning she would wake up and think what to do next. Just lying there in the bed and waiting for others to even take her to the bathroom. She was not ready to accept that life of dependency. She chose otherwise and in 2006, in spite of having seven broken vertebrae, she held the javelin in her strong hand and started practicing like a hungry warrior. After realizing her strengths she chose shot put as her main sport and in the 2010 Para Asian games, she won a Bronze medal. 2012 London Paralympics was her dream event but due to the absence of a quota, she couldn't participate in London Paralympics. Being a born champion, she didn’t just give up; she kept her hope high and put in even more efforts in training for 2016 Rio Paralympics.
And India cheered when she won a Silver medal in the women's shot-put F53 event in 2016 Rio Paralympics. Deepa became the FIRST WOMAN to win a medal for India in the Paralympics. She currently is the world number one in the F-53 category.
National and state awards
- President Role Model Award (2014)
- Arjuna Award (2012)
- Maharashtra Chhatrapati Award (sports) (2009–10)
- Haryana Karambhoomi Award (2008)
- Swawlamban Puruskar Maharashtra (2006)
- Padmashri Award (2017)Other awards
- WCRC Leaders Asia Excellence Award 2014
- Limca people of the year award 2014
- iCONGO Karamveer Puruskar 2014
- Amazing Indian Awards Times Now-2013
- Cavinkare National Ability Mastery Award −2013
- Karamaveer Chakra award 2013
- Nominee for L'Oreal Femina Awards 2013 in “Women We Love Category”
- Batra Positive Health Hero Award 2012
- AWWA Excellence Award For Sports 2012
- Media Peace & Excellence Award For Sports 2012
- Maharana Mewar Arawali Sports Award 2012
- Misaal-e-Himmat Award (2012)
- International Women’s day appreciation Award 2011 – Cancer Patient Aid Association New Delhi.
- Shree Shakti Puruskar CARE- 2011
- District Sports Award Ahmednagar-2010
- Rashtra Gaurav Puraskar 2009
- Naari Gaurav Puraskar 2009
- Guru Gobind Shaurya Puraskar 2009
- Rotary Women Of The Year Award 2007